IMVU is the world’s largest 3D social metaverse, where millions of global users customize their avatars and explore 40,000+ destinations to connect with each other through chat and events. IMVU users spend an astonishing average of 55 minutes on the platform per session and hundreds of thousands of creators earn real money creating virtual products. IMVU’s parent company, Together Labs was named to Time’s list of the 100 most influential companies in 2022.
Challenge and Objective
IMVU was looking for a more advanced ad server to meet its targeting needs. Their targeting was limited with their previous system, and setting up campaigns cost a lot of time and effort. That’s why they wanted a partner with technology that would allow them to utilize their first-party data in a simple and efficient way.
- Increase inventory value and monetize IMVU’s traffic with direct and third-party partner ads.
- Craft a solution that could help them leverage their first-party data for better targeting in a cookieless era.
- Increase creator revenue by running internal campaigns.
- Set everything up within a simple and effective system.
Solution: A Flexible and Customizable Ad Server
- Powerful Ad Serving Capabilities:
Big data reporting & accurate real-time forecasting with 18 years of experience
- Maximum Yield in Real-Time:
Unified ad decisioning solution
- Flexible & Customizable:
Unique format templating system with 100% flexibility. Unlimited creative possibilities.
- Deep Insights:
Unified Reporting Management API (CPM & fill rate monitoring) and Log Level Access.
A tailored first-party data strategy
IMVU wanted to utilize first-party data for targeting ads to specific users. Together with their account managers, they created 44 segments populating around 900K profiles.
This segmentation makes them capable of targeting specific user groups and a combination of user groups (ex: VIP users and those between 18-24) for specific internal sales and discounts. It also allowed the use of unique targeted ads to boost interactions, as they were able to study which user groups are more likely to engage with particular ads.
Recently, they tested the difference between VIP users and different types of creatives (e.g. GIFs v. static banners).
Importing first-party data allowed IMVU to gain more visibility, control, and opportunities regarding inventory as a whole without needing an external DMP.
- Less time spent setting up ads and targeting.
- Ability to utilize their first-party data to target ads to their customers.
- 44 segments were created based on 900K IMVU user profiles, which were associated directly with campaigns for targeted delivery.
“We chose Equativ because we were impressed with the platform and its customization capabilities. Additionally, the service provided by Equativ – like personalization, customer support, and account management – has been impressive. They have been able to provide a service tailored to our specific needs. In a partnership, we look for two things. First, a long-term, strategic partner aligned with our goals. Second, an active partner who makes recommendations on how we can improve our business. Equativ was able to meet these criteria.”
– Darren Markovitz, Head of Monetization, IMVU
Download the Case Study